- News & Events
The purpose of JOY Ministries is to help all children with special needs, in whatever capacity they are able, build a lasting foundation of faith and to learn about the love of God and basic Biblical truths that will help shape their lives.
It is our passion at JOY Ministries to provide a loving, safe and accepting environment for every child with special needs where they can grow and discover their indispensible role in the body of Christ.
This ministry is for all children (VIP’s—Very Included Persons) with special needs ages 3-5th grade. Children and families are screened and children are matched with a trained PAL (Provides Access to the Lord) who serves as an assistant or aide. Along with their PAL children attend a regular class as they are able. A specially-equipped room is available whenever a child needs a break, or when a child is unable to be integrated into a regular class
“Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” ~Matthew 19:14
1. All children are valuable
All children were created in the image of God (Genesis 1:26)
All children matter to God (Luke 19:10)
All children were called by God (Eph 2:10)
2. Community is valuable
All children are indispensable in the Body of Christ. (1 Cor 12:22)
Biblical community and authentic relationships are critical for all children (Acts 2:42-47)
All children need to feel accepted and included (1 Cor 9:22)
3. Spiritual Growth is valuable
We must strive to provide access to God’s world to every child so that they too may grow intheir walk with him. (1 Peter 2:2)
We must strive for excellence in every aspect of this ministry. Excellence honors God and inspires people. (Col 3:17)
This ministry will operate every Sunday at the 11:00am service only. We are located in the multi-purpose building, room 11.
Parents, we know taking your special needs child to a new location can be traumatic for all involved. We want this process to be as smooth and as stress-free as possible! We will meet with you ahead of time and get all the information on your child so that we can place your child with the best PAL possible!
Next Steps for Parents:
1. Email email@example.com.
2. A JOY Ministries volunteer will contact you to arrange a time to meet where you will fill out an intake form* together.
3. A Family Coordinator will match up your child with the best possible PAL for him/her.
4. A meeting will take place with the PAL and the family.
5. Each week that you will be attending service, we will ask you to make a reservation so that we and your PAL are fully prepared for your child.
*Intake forms just have information that you provide to us about your child, so that we may best serve your child: likes, dislikes, trigger behaviors, calming methods, etc.
1. What is your definition of 'special needs’? Any child who needs extra assistance to participate in Children’s Ministry, whether for a short period of time or for an extended period of time. (Whether diagnosed or not).
2. When will the ministry be available? Each Sunday at the 11:00am service.
3. What will be the primary means of communication if we want to attend? We will ask you to make a reservation with our Family Coordinator so that we will have your PAL ready for you and your child. This can be done via email.
4. What if a child will be attending but a PAL will not? We will always try to maintain consistency and get an up-front commitment. However, if a PAL cannot be there another trained PAL will be assigned to that VIP.
5. What will the specially-equipped room be like? It will contain a swing, soft lighting, beans, rocking chairs, rugs, bean bags and other calming tools.
6. What process do potential PALs go through before they can start? All PALS will be interviewed, reference-checked, thoroughly screened and background checked for every city, state and county in which they lived.
To download intake forms, click here.
PALs do not have to have a background in special needs. We will train you!!! We welcome adults and teens alike who love kids and have a heart for these amazing kids.
Specialists such as pediatric occupational therapists, physical or speech therapists, nurses or doctors, special education teachers or aides are helpful. This ministry will not be able to grow and thrive without dedicated volunteers to serve as PALs or in an administrative role.
1. Fill out an application. We want to match every child with the best fit possible.
2. You will go through a screening process including an interview, reference check and background check.
3. You will be assigned to a child and then will meet with the child and his/her family.
We have openings for regularly scheduled roles as well as substitute and on-call roles. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
To download our Volunteer Application, click here.
To download our Release for Background Check, click here.
To download our Safety Policy, click here.